The Capital Area Humane Society provides obedience courses that focus on building a healthy relationship between you and your dog while using positive, reward-based training methods. Both classes that the CAHS performs are four week courses and are $75 for the general public and $55 for those that have adopted from CAHS, below is a description of each:
Start your puppy off on the right paw by providing foundation training including simple cues and basic manners using positive reinforcement training. This class is limited to puppies between the ages of 2-6 months.
The course will involve introductions to impulse control exercises like sit, down, come, stay and loose leash walking. Puppies will be able to have some ‘play time’ that helps to provide socialization that is necessary to become well adjusted adults.
This class is tailored to those dogs 7 months of age and older that have had little to no training. Untrained adolescents and adults will learn to focus on their guardian rather than on other distractions. Dogs will learn impulse control exercises like sit, down, come, stay and loose leash walking. These commands are vital for dogs that have become unruly or those that need a refresher course.
We will also have time to answer any questions that pet guardians may have from both classes in order to help you with any particular problem behaviors.
The fee for obedience classes at CAHS is considered non-refundable.
CAHS requires the following in order to participate in obedience courses:
- All fees must be paid before the start of class
- A copy of your dog’s current Rabies and Distemper (Da2PPL) vaccines must be provided to the trainer at the beginning of class.
- Puppies that are too young for all the required vaccinations should be up to date as far as they can be as determined by your veterinarian. A copy of the current vaccinations must be provided to the trainer at the beginning of class.
- Your dog should be wearing a flat-buckle collar along with a standard leash.
- Remember to bring soft treats that your dog loves!
If you have specific questions, you can contact Samantha at
or (517) 626-6060 ext. 141.